Philanthropy in the past has been limited to individuals of mass wealh or huge companies.
However every one does do their bit helping one another out and their local causes.
We view Philanthropy as out of our reach…. for now… maybe later in life.
Causes such as Kiva unlock this and unleash the long tail. So we can all engage in helping others out (in $25 usd increments).
Kiva provides a platform for people like you and me to provide funds to micro finance companies in developing and third world countries. On this platform you invest in their project or business and in return they provide blog updates and knowing you’ve had a direct hand in helping someone else out.
Your investment doesn’t end there. Once its repaid you get the money back and can reinvest it in others. Yup you get every cent back.
As a bit of a hobby economist this concept is awesome, using the multiplier effect (looking at how additional investment will flow in an economy) you can find how many times your investment will flow through the economy. Simply 1/percentage of savings ie in Peru the savings levels are 17% so 1/.17 = 5.9. Meaning your investment will add ~ $125 to the gdp of Peru.
Thats only on a basic level, there are further flow on effects.
So my idea to you is:
- Create a philanthropy focus in your company, commit some money to invest in projects like kiva.
- Let your employees pick the companies to invest in and follow their progress.
- Take it a step further and match the lend that your employees place in Kiva.
- Get your family together and place a loan in a business.
- Get your workmates together and all join in to support 1 business.
- Your local group such as Rotary / Lions or your church could support causes on this and get your members to keep up to date with what is happening.
- Help Kiva out with their operation costs by sending them a donation.
So jump on, lend some money, help make a direct difference and see what happens.
Your marketing decision can help others too.
Subscribe to get regular updates