Reading a book is an interesting experience, why do you start? Why do you continue? Why do you finish? Why do you tell others about it?
The answers to these surprisingly basic questions will probably yield more than you first realise.
Why do you start?
- The back cover sold you on it
- You heard great things about it
- You had spare time of which you decided to read
Why do you continue, once you read one page why do you keep turning? Page after page?
- Incomplete story, want to know the end
- There is a lead in to the next page (how often do you stop reading at the end of a chapter vs the middle?)
- It is little effort to do so
Why do you finish?
- You wanted to get the full story
- It was easy once you’d started
- Satisfaction gained from finishing
Why do you tell others about it?
- Story aka experience was so good want to share
- They saw you with physical object, easy to share ie can loan my book
- Talking point of which you are confident enough to talk on
- If your friends like it they will think favourably of you (status)
Amazing what you can learn just by second guessing something you already do or most importantly by asking the right questions.