Really obsess about your employees. Look after them.
No seriously, the good guys aren’t hanging about, especially if you don’t look after them.
If I was hiring, things I’d offer are:
- Decent Health & Life Insurance
- Huge holidays, if you want to take 3 months off no pay, let’s figure out how to do that.
- Extra benefits for family guys
- Performance bonuses based on real business value that employees contribute
- Own time to build personal projects, whether related to business or not (including building personal brand, blogging, twitter)
- Flexible hours. What are rigid schedules for? Deliver on time, don’t care whether you do 1 hour or 2 hours.
- Flexible location, if you can do the work from Cambodia whilst you do some travel, let’s make that happen
- Want to build a startup out of work hours? All good, maybe we can sort you out with some equity or loans to give you a helping hand.
Oh and of course a reasonable wage.
Maybe this sounds like a pipe dream or maybe providing a dream job scenario will attract dream employees…